Imagine, you are planning a long tour by bicycle. What would you pack?
It´s indeed not an easy decision – especially, if you are a beginner. If you pack too many things, that you probably won´t need, the bicycle will be very heavy and hence uncomfortable to travel, but if you pack too little, you are suffering, because you forgot things, that may be important and useful.
In order to support you with your choices, I created a packing list for a long bicycle tour that is based and inspired on my own experiences.
For example my tour from Copenhagen to Oslo, or earlier, from Berlin to Leipzig, gave me a lot of packing experience. My recommendations are based on products that I use, and that have been already successfully proven!
If you buy the products by clicking on the links below, I will receive a little commission, with which I am financing my blog
With the following packing list for a long bicycle tour, I am sure, you are pretty well prepared for any tour, that takes longer than one day If you think, something should be added, please don´t hesitate to contact me or write a comment!
For the bicycle:
- bicycle 😉 (if possible a mountain bike, e.g. from Trek)
- 2 robust and waterproof bicycle bags, e.g. Ortlieb
- rack for the bags (back and/or front) e.g. Ventura Alu-Gepäckträger
- elastic band for fixing things (e.g. tent, clothes, etc.) on the rack
- bicycle tool set
- air pump
- puncture kit (incl. replacement tube)
- bicycle lights, e.g. Sigma
- gel seat, e.g. Decathlon
For the body:
- Helmet, e.g. Uvex
- Rain jacket, e.g. from Decathlon
- Rain trousers, e.g. from Decathlon
- Rain shoe cover, e.g. from VAUDE
- sun/bicycle glasses, e.g. from Uvex
- multifunctional clothes, fast drying (T-shirts, trousers, socks, underwear)
- windproof Buff, e.g. Buff Multifunktionstuch
- bicycle shoes, sneakers, e.g. Shimano
- Ear plugs
For camping, pausing, resting:
- trekking tent, e.g. Grand Canyon Cardova
- thin and light camping air mattress, e.g. from Decathlon
- sleeping bag, e.g. Vaude
- isolation foliage or mat, e.g. Tatonka Rettungsdecke
- picknick mat, e.g. PEARL Fleece-Picknick-Decke
- gas cooker, e.g. from Decathlon
- camping pot, plates, knifes, spoons, forks, e.g. from Decathlon
- bicycle water bottles, e.g. from Sigg
- extra big water bottle
- solar charger, e.g. from Goal Zero Nomad 7 Solapanel
- power banks, e.g. Poweradd Slim
- GPS Navigation, Garmin Edge Touring Plus Fahrrad Navi
- google maps on smartphone
Good to have:
- small carabiner, e.g. for fixing the solar charger on the rack, e.g. from Decathlon
- Swiss knife, e.g. Victorinox
- matchbox, lighter, firestone, e.g. Feuerstahl
- torch, e.g. EasyAcc®
- water filter, e.g SAWYER Mini Wasserfilter
I hope my packing list for a long bicycle tour supports you in packing all the important things that you need, for a stress free, gorgeous and unforgettable adventure tour by bicycle.
Enjoy your trip, and if you need more inspiration, read the story of my tour from Copenhagen to Oslo
Please share, if you think my list will be helpful and inspiring for all the bicycle adventurers out there!